Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Corbin's compare and contrast of the two speeches!

     This post is a reflection of "This is Water" by David Wallace and Toni Morrison's Nobel Speech. Both of these speeches are well thought out and offer in depth advice and wisdom. 
     The biggest thing that stood out to me as an interesting difference between these two speeches was a major theme throughout "This is Water" was that oftentimes people get caught in their routines and oftentimes think the world revolves around them. This idea was that people always think of themselves and get caught up and in a way, "zombie" through each day. People lack patience and do not want to invest in anything that does not show a direct benefit to ones self. It seemed like most of the ideas Wallace put out there showed personal issues having an indirect and inevitable effect on other people. On the other hand, Morrison's speech highlighted how people can directly hurt and affect other people. She focused on language and words. She talked about how harsh words can bring people down and how we hide people from the truth. She even talked about how words can cause oppression and the direct impact people have on other peoples lives. Its amazing how one's happiness can seemingly be robbed by other people's choice of words.
     Overall, I enjoyed both speeches. "This is Water" did an exceptional job at making me feel like I need to be more aware that every decision I make will probably effect other people, even the ones I subconsciously make. Morrison's Nobel Speech made me feel like I need to be careful with the words I say and how much of an impact they can have.

No comments:

Post a Comment